What is Spirituality?
In my opinion, spirituality is the way you find meaning, hope, comfort and inner peace in your life. Many people find spirituality through religion. Some find it through music, art or a connection with nature. Others find it in their values and principles.
Here are a few definitions:
- The idea of a process or journey of self-discovery and of learning not only who you are, but who you want to be.
- The challenge of reaching beyond your current limits. This can include keeping an open mind, questioning current beliefs, or trying to better understand others’ beliefs.
- A connectedness to yourself and to others. Spirituality is personal, but it is also rooted in being connected with others and with the world around you. This connection can facilitate you finding “your place in the world.”
- Meaning, purpose, and direction. Spirituality, while it doesn’t necessarily solve or reach conclusions, often embraces the concept of searching and moving forward in the direction of meaning, purpose, and direction for your life.
- A higher power, whether rooted in a religion, nature, or some kind of unknown essence.
How is spirituality related to health?
The body, mind and spirit are connected. As I often talk about here on BE by Heather Marie, is that the health of any one of these elements will affect the others.
Some research shows that things such as positive beliefs, comfort and strength gained from religion, meditation and prayer can contribute to healing and a sense of well being. Improving your spiritual health may not cure an illness, but it may help you feel better, prevent some health problems and help you cope with illness, stress or death.
If you want to improve your spiritual health, you may want to try the following ideas. However, remember that everyone is different, so what works for others may not work for you. Do what is comfortable for you.
- Find the things in your life that give you a sense of inner peace, comfort, strength, love and connection.
- Set aside time every day to do the things that help you spiritually. These may include doing community service or volunteer work, praying, meditating, reading inspirational books or this blog :), taking nature walks, having quiet time for thinking, doing yoga, playing a sport or attending religious services.
It’s all about baby steps… Spirituality is a journey, so just go with the flow.